Monday, June 15, 2009

Dreams

On day three (yes, I am a little behind, so) she asked us about dreams.  God doesn't speak to me through dreams, but I have definitely had a few doozies in my day.  I will share two of them that stick with me.  They aren't related and happened years apart . . . 

When I was about 4 years old I had a horrible dream.  I remember being at church and going room to room and seeing very strange things.  In one room there was a 'thing' with a child's head and a snakes body (dreams are so freaky) and it was weaving it's way through the rungs on the back of a chair.  The last room I went in they had put my father on a cross and were lowering it in to a fiery pit.  (I still have a hard time talking about that one).  When I woke up I was crying and my mom wanted to know what my dream was about and it took me a long time to tell her because I felt bad for having such a horrible dream.  I remember being so upset.  My mom had me call my dad at work to make sure he was OK.  

Then when I was almost 19 my Grandpa died suddenly of a heart attack, my Dad's Dad.  He was an amazing man!  His death was a peripety in our family's life - everything changed after that.  I moved in with my Grandma and lived with her until she remarried a year and a half later.  She married her brother-in-law because 6 months after my Grandpa died his sister died of a heart attack as well leaving the sister's husband a widow as well.  Are you following this?  I'm not even to the dream part yet!  So, a few months after they married I had a dream.  We were at church, it was Easter, and me, my uncles, one of my cousins, and my mom and I were taking the Easter lily down the aisle to the altar (this wasn't normally done, it's just part of the dream).  The rest of my Dad's family was sitting in the pews of the sanctuary:  Grandma, Kenneth (the new husband), Aunts, my Dad, sisters, and cousins.  Everyone was facing forward not watching us bring the lily in, it was like they couldn't move their heads.  I was able to move my head and I looked over to the opposite side of the church and saw Grandpa sitting there!  I couldn't talk!  I wanted to scream at everyone!  My Mom saw that I saw him and she said, "I know.  I see him.  Just keep walking."  No one else saw him and I was so upset, I kept looking at my uncles and my cousin and the rest of my family, but I couldn't talk to tell them.  I remember crying the rest of the way down the aisle.  Finally after church, Grandpa came to me and asked me how everyone felt about Grandma being with Kenneth, he seemed a little jealous and concerned that they were together.  I reassured him that they were fine and we were all very happy for them.  And that was the end of that dream.  WHEW!

There's another one of my Dad's family having this big party at my Grandma's house and Grandpa was there and I was introducing him to Garth Brooks.  Garth was so happy to meet my Grandpa!

Dreams are so weird.

Blessings!
Lori

1 comment:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Wow...you have some freaky dreams for sure! I have to question if you weren't feeling like perhaps you were betraying your Grandpa by accepting your Grandma and Kenneth? I believe our dreams have so much to do with how we are feeling. My dads name was Kenneth.

Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Robin